OK, I’ve been thinking a lot about the upcoming EARCOS weekend with Debbie Miller in Japan and wishing I was going… but in lieu of a trip to see her, here are some places you can see and hear her on the Stenhouse site (have I mentioned how much I love the Stenhouse site?)
Podcast with Debbie Miller: Debbie and the interviewer cover some excellent topics including:
- how her transition from teaching to consulting has reinforced her belief that the structure of the workshop works at every grade level.
- the importance of really listening to students and how it is the only way to really elevate what they can do idependently.
- giving students a sense of agency
- the essence of what we are teaching at any grade level is: “What do we know about ourselves now as readers now and how do we get ourselves there?”
- being authentic put ourselves our there in our teaching
Here are 2 links to posts from the Stenhouse blog that are excerpts from Debbie’s book: Teaching with Intention
These are links to video clips:
- Author Conversations with Debbie Miller: Debbie talks about our favorite issue: TIME! Too much to teach, and not enough time. Debbie hits at the heart of it: is ‘covering’ what we are all about?
- Author Conversations with Debbie Miller and Kathy Collins: This is a three part video series where the authors talk about their books (Reading with Meaning came out before Growing Readers, but the books support and extend each other.)
Debbie has incredible faith in children and really high expectations for what they can do and for what we can learn from them. She keeps pushing my thinking forward- I love that in a teacher!